Friday, April 10, 2009

My Mom’s Leukemia Update (April 9th)

We saw my mom tonight and it turned out to be an overwhelming night for her and the family. She got an updated prognosis and treatment options explained to her. She has acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). The cancer is very advanced. She has been given the option of starting two different chemotherapy treatments – standard vs. clinical trial. They will need to start whichever one she chooses in the next couple of days.

Perhaps the most shocking thing was to find out that if left untreated, she would only have two days to two weeks left to live. We are grateful that the cancer didn’t go unnoticed any longer and have faith and optimism that the chemo will work.

They are still running more tests to see if a bone marrow transplant is needed and they will continue learning more about her situation.

We are grateful for the gospel and the power of the Sprit. We are putting our trust in the Lord and know that all things are possible with Him.

Ryan and I are planning on spending time with her tomorrow. As we learn more details about her treatment and prognosis, we’ll update the blog.

Thanks to everyone who has commented, called and reached out to support our family. We appreciate it very much.

10 comments:

Shana said...

Oh wow Zenica.... we'll keep her and you in our prayers!

Nicole said...

I don't even know what to say Zenica. Your mom and family are in my prayers. I'm glad you are with her and that you have faith. Keep going strong. Call if you need anything!

The Gotch Family said...

I am so sorry to hear this. It's so great that they ran the tests and caught this when they did. I am thinking about you guys.
Kristen

Ranay said...

We're thinking of you and know you're in our prayers. Hope you can get good news today and that the doctors can find the best course of action for your mom. Let us know if there's anything you need.

papa a said...

Hey Zen.... oh my gosh... I am with out words....

I am so sorry. This is such a hard one. And you
know, your mom knows hard. Damn !!

Please tell her I love her.... everyone that knows her
loves her, we are all praying really hard for you all.

love you...all

Dorte

jackiewankier said...

Sweetie...I just want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet mom...we will send all our positive energies your way....know that you have alot of support from your extended family of friends..we love you.

Unknown said...

Zen,
Its hard to find words of comfort and courage but I will be asking God to bless you with what your family stands in need of at this time. I know He has angels here on earth that will be with your family. I love you and am thinking a lot about you.

Paige Holley said...

Hey Zenica,
I don't check your blog too often but am so glad I did tonight. So sorry to hear about your mom...my prayers are with you and your family.

Krista said...

thanks for keeping us posted. I'm so sorry zenny. We'll pray for your mom. This has to be so difficult. It's your mom...

littlegry said...

Paige sent me the link to your blog... my prayers are going out for your sweet mama. I loved her as my YW leader. She's a wonderful woman and I know Heavenly Father is watching over her. I hope all goes well... send her my love.
-Kristin Call Simmons