Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Battle Has Begun (April 11, 2009)

My mom signed all her treatment consent forms this morning for chemo. She will participate in a chemo clinical trial that has been running for several years. Her chemo will be more intense and last longer, but we’re hopeful it will also give better results. The doctors strongly recommended it and there was really no down side to being part of the clinical.

Her red blood cell count was low, so she got a blood transfusion right before her first chemo treatment late Saturday afternoon.

The blood transfusion really helped her to feel a little better and she was feeling pretty good after her first treatment. We know that with chemo she won’t always feel good because the side effects will take a lot out of you, so we’re happy she had a good day.

The first phase of chemo will last five weeks. If all goes well, she may come home in as little as three weeks and complete the rest of her treatments in the outpatient clinic.

She is grateful for the love and support. She had me read her all the comments from the blog. There is no question that the support and prayers on her behalf are giving her strength.

There are obviously a lot of unknowns still, but we will stay positive and ask that people continue to pray for her.

7 comments:

Dani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dani said...

We are hoping she responds well on most of the treatment just like she did yesterday!!!
Our hearts & prayers are with her!!

Janet said...

My heart is full for you guys!
I bet she loves having you and the grandkids there! Thank goodness you are a stay-at-home mom and can be with her lots. I wish I could watch your kids for you. Tell me what you need me to do.

Ranay said...

We will be cheering your mom and all the rest of you on, clear from Idaho!

Jacque Burks said...

Zenica,

I am so glad to have recently found you on Facebook. I had no idea what challenges you and your family are facing. My heart aches for your family. You and Ryan and your mom will be in our thoughts and prayers. I cannot tell you how much strength our family received from the power of prayer.
We love you!

Nicole said...

Keep being strong Zenica! She's lucky to have a daughter to lean on.

papa a said...

Hey Zenny

Really happy that your mom has started the treatments, and sge is haveing a good day.

I love seeing the pics of her and the kids..

Tell her we love her soooo much!! are praying for
her.

love you all

Dorte